Συνολικές προβολές σελίδας

Τετάρτη 21 Δεκεμβρίου 2011

George the Famous Taxi Driver



If I had to take everybody off my site except for one it would be George Kokkotos. In my opinion George provides the best and most personalized service of anyone in Greece. I first met him at the airport. We stood on line at the taxi stand and by chance he was our driver. At first we spoke to him in Greek but when he began answering us in excellent English we asked his story. He had just moved to Greece from New York where he had his own restaurant and drove a Good Humor ice-cream truck in the summer. He also had experience as a machinist and was planning to do that part time while living off the money he made off the sale of his restaurant. But Greece had become expensive and there were no jobs for machinists. So he was driving a taxi. It was a VW Jetta. I think I had heard an Anthony Robbins infomercial the night before leaving the USA and I gave George a little speech about how if he had to be a taxi driver then he should make himself the best taxi driver in Greece. He took us to our hotel and we took his card to give to Andrea's aunts for their yearly trip to the Health spas at Edipsos. A couple weeks later I was approached by some guy who wanted me to see his bar. He spoke English, had relatives in Chicago and everything, but it seemed like visiting his bar might not be a good idea so I declined and continued on my way. A half a block later someone was calling in English "Excuse me...hey...excuse me..." and of course I figured it was this bar owner still trying to convince me, so I ignored him. Then I heard him say "Mr Barrett!" and I knew I had not given the guy my name so I turned around. It was George. He was dressed up and had a big brand new Toyota parked on the corner. He had taken my advice and was on his way to becomming the best taxi driver in Greece. 15 years later and there is no doubt about it. I have heard of people crying at the airport when they said goodbye to George. His trips are wonderful and packed with fun and adventure, and there is no better feeling when you are getting off a ferry in Pireaus with hundreds of other people and you see only three taxis but you know one of them is George and he is waiting for you.
George Kokkotos is the best taxi driver in Greece and I am honored to have him on my website and to be his friend.

Matt Barrett

ΠΗΓΗ: greecetravel.com

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου